So we are only on our 4th official day of school here in Portland and I am pretty sure my kid is already getting sick. I sent him off today after a bowl of hot soup and some vitamin fortified raspberries but you know that feeling in your gut right after the school bus leaves, where you just better keep your phone close and get dressed because the call is coming from the office. That. Ugh. Can't fend off those little germ buggers for even a week. But for right now, this moment, I am going to enjoy my Monday.
I was trying to think up a list because my friend Stasha at The Good Life is always coming up with fun lists on Mondays and I don't want to be a copycat but lists are fun. Here is one. I know there are books about all these things and this little thing called the internet, but these are topics that are seriously useful I wish someone had taught me in school. I can learn them now, of course, but this is what I am thinking about right now. I could come up with another one that is the 10 Things School Didn't Need To Bother With. Uh, maybe make that 20 Things and Pep Rallies are going up high on my list of Didn't Need.
10 Things I wish I learned about in school.
1. Smart Grocery Shopping (super important, still a weekly budgeting struggle for me)
2. Family Home Remedies (because you probably won't have good insurance, ever.)
3. How To Make A Pie (because it seems like something everyone in Portland should know)
4. How To Grow Small PrettyThings Which Cheer You (this seems obvious to many people, they can do it on demand, but to me it is not)
5. How To Unclog Things (or what happens after the plunger, and don't be afraid of tools)
6. How To Buy Flattering Clothes (I am serious, I want to know this! It would have saved me lots of money in the long run)
7. How To Argue Effectively When You Are Too Nice
8. How To Be Satisfied And Not Constantly Want Things (this is a little abstract, maybe this is a special workshop after school for esoterics taught by a hippie. I would have taken it.)
9. How To Make Decisions That Feel Good (This is part two of that hippie workshop, we probably would have a potluck)
10. How To Not Care What Other People Think (This is gold, and sometimes I am there for a minute or two but never long enough)
What are the ten things you wished you learned about in school? Okay, give me one.